tennis started in the monestaries of france, not england.

and many tennis terms are from french words, the thought is the term 'love' for zero is from the french term for an egg.. (the french term is l'ouf, as i recall)
even the name of the game, tennis, comes from a french term.

i have never heard the term tie used with tennis in the US.--(and living with in walking distance of NY Arther Ashe stadium, home to the US Tennis Open, i do actually hear a lot of tennis terms.)

is tie a direct translation of the french term for a tournament, of tennis?

as for meet- that term is used in a limited context-- track and field, gymnastics, and wrestling, and sometimes tennis.

it is sports term, but i would hardly say .."we call a sporting event a "meet",.. ", unless i was talking about those specific sports.

in NY, i think tournament is used more often than meet for tennis. while individuals might play a game; they are more likely to play a set of games ( a set) , for prizes, it an OPEN or tournament.

and i suppose, like a 1000 monkeys, typing on a 1000 typewriters for 1000 years, you too, might one day make a interesting, well scanned limerick.
until then, could you keep them to a thead for limericks?
there have been several. and while one or two have escaped from word play and fun, in general...