Definite communication problem here, CK.

A "yappie"? You obviously don't mean "yuppie" and I am grateful for being spared that insult. Could you mean "Japie" (pronounced YAH-pee)? In which case, shame on you! Japie usually denotes an unsophisticated simpleton, a sort of country bumpkin. Even if it's true it's really not nice of you to go broadcasting my failings all over the place.

Of course, I admit there is a sense of "Japie" (used especially by coloureds - we have to say "so-called coloureds" these days) which just means an Afrikaner. (It's used in the same way as "boer" which literally means "farmer" so you can see a connection here!). Even that is somewhat pejorative, like calling somebody a dago or a mick or a polack. And besides, I don't strictly qualify because although I am fair-skinned my first language is English; well, sort of... the local unreasonable facsimile thereof.

But the really baffling part to me is if that is what you meant, what made you deduce from my post that I was a Japie?

As for the "missing permutation", I am totally perplexed. I was referring to the 28 SA doctors in your story who have apparently emigrated to NZ. (At least that's what I thought you said.) And SA has such a dearth of skilled people we can ill afford to supply the world with teachers, doctors, nurses (this is the latest drain; the UK came actively recruiting nurses last year) etc.

Maybe I should just drop the subject I seem to be unintelligible and incapable of understanding others.