well knitting is (i think, and i am not alone) very mathmatical.. (its all done in binary, and a bit of understanding boolian doesn't hurt --of course you can learn to knit with out consciously learning math(s) but knitting is so much more fun if you know both--

knitting a the new rage (i've been knitting 40+years, and finally, its in style(for now). when it becomes passe again, i will still be knitting.
--in the UK the rage is radical knitting (the newest rage is the knit purse that looks like a hand grenade) and a show at the London crafts museum.. ( could look up a link to the review in the gardian.. )

but a lot of radical knitting is not really new
what is radical anyway? anything your nana didn't knit? suppose your nana was radical in her day and age? --then what?

willie warmers --yes they are what you think they are--are 'radical' but the patterns for making them date from the 1970's or so. (or perhaps early--i remember them from then, and they might not have been a new idea then!)
some hippies were into 'return to the earth, new age, simpler living crap--and they knit them.. so they are hardly radical.

sometimes, everything old is new again.