Getting back to the original question, there are a number of words which might cover an over-eager love of one's country, but the most dangerous one is "Fascist". Fascism is characterised by an almost mystical (and generally unhealthy) view of one's country as "the best". And it's coming back after a half-century of slumber. If Themilum was joking about Canada and its relationship to the US, I can only say it was in bad taste given what's going down these days. Words just like his are being bandied about quite seriously by a lot of people, mostly from the US, of real ill-will.

Love of country is an interesting emotion (when it's not being used to justify some war). I "love" New Zealand, but in a rather abstract way. New Zealanders are typically laconic about patriotism, preferring not to wave banners or sing anthems or salute the flag - except at sporting events involving Australia. I have a T-shirt which has "I support two teams - New Zealand and anyone playing Australia" on the back. But I think that New Zealanders do not really feel the need to display patriotism in the same way that the US (and, increasingly, Australia) does. It's just a given. Having said that, I was at Gallipoli in Turkey last year for the Anzac Day celebrations, and I have to say that I felt quite patriotic that day. Not against anyone else, just proud to be a New Zealander.

Up to 15% of New Zealanders are out of the country at any given time and many of us either have dual nationality or are long-term residents in other countries. I'll be taking up British citizenship (while retaining my New Zealand citizenship) later this year, and I don't feel any real sense of conflict (except when the French give the English their annual hiding at rugby).

As for the etymology of the use of "American" to describe citizens of the US, WW and the others who agreed with her are exactly right. It's a contraction which came into use simply because the US doesn't have a simple "name" in the same way that Canada, Australia or Great Britain do. I don't think it generally causes any confusion on the other sides of either pond. If people say they are American, most people assume that they are from the US. I usually say "I'm a Kiwi". I don't remember the last time I had to clarify that. I suppose it's down to my long beak and big feet ...

But recently I have noticed an increasing prevalence of people not bothering to say that they from the US at all. They say "I'm from Indiana" or "I'm from South Carolina". While it might bespeak a certain arrogance - an assumption that people know that these states are part of the US - I find it saves the two-question hit: "Where are you from?" closely followed by "Which state?"

And I have noticed a lot of maple leaves around USns lately, too.