Yes, roman engineers and industrial revolution engineers both had the same problems to solve, and came up with often very similar solutions-- Most of the advance in bridge building (not all) came from railroad engineers working out solutions for strong, (trains are heavy) simple (workman where not always literate--or if they were, not always in English or another common language.) flexible (so the same solution could be refitted to a variety of terrains) trestles.
They also had some of the worst disasters. The Tacoma Narrows bridge stand out-- but there have been so many failures of railroad bridges that i am sure everyone on this board can site one local to them (if you define local as 100 miles and are willing to back 100 years), or one that impacted there family...

but getting back to Words-- why are railroad bridges always called trestles? Is a trestle a specific style of railroad bridge- and non rail road people like me just use the term generically (and incorrectly) ?
NY has arched bridges, and swing bridges, and drawbridges, of course our wonderful suspension bridges-- Brooklyn is great--I can see it from windows at work--not my window-- (i don't have one)but George Washington is my personal favorite.. but RR bridges-- all of them are trestles..