Part of the same St. Bede's Scriptorium page, Maverick.

The two George's may have crossed the same Delaware unaware of one another. This writer "alleges" that George Washington said it first.

BTW this turned up in George Santanya search:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Plato:
For the greater good.

Machiavelli:
So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to cross the road boldly; but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely chicken’s dominion maintained.

Thomas de Torquemada:
Give me ten minutes with the chicken and I’ll find out.

Oliver North:
National Security was at stake.

B.F. Skinner:
Because the external influences which had pervaded its sensorium from birth had caused it to develop in such a fashion that it would tend to cross roads, even while believing these actions to be of its own free will.

Ludwig Wittgenstein:
The possibility of “crossing” was encoded into the objects “chicken” and “road”, and circumstances came into being which caused the actualisation of this potential occurrence.

Albert Einstein:
Whether the chicken crossed the road or the road crossed the chicken depends upon your frame of reference.

Buddha:
If you ask this question, you deny your own chicken nature.

Salvador Dali:
The Fish.

Darwin:
It was the next logical step after coming down from the trees.

Ernest Hemingway:
To die. In the rain.

Werner Heisenberg:
We are not sure which side of the road the chicken was on but it was moving very fast.

The Sphinx:
You tell me.

Mark Twain:
The news of its crossing has been greatly exaggerated.

Posted on the “Sudanese” discussion list on the Internet by M. Mahjoub

http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/guides/philosophy/Quot.htm