"is it now a word" is to me a very interesting tangent to our main theme. I go back to what I have labeled the "non-word" zzxjoanw. this was seemingly inserted as a joke into a dictionary of musical terms with the literally impossible definition a Maori drum. (this generated a previous thread herein which is eminently searchable and a good exercise for the student :)

zzxjoanw was latterly picked up by unusual word books, notably Mrs. Byrne's, wherein Josefa Heifitz helpfully provides pronunciation (see below). this has all engendered much online raillery (ycliu). one explanation of the joke is that it's a spoof on some Joan W's name.

ziks-jo'an .. [a=schwa]

so, is this non-word a word?

---

then we have what have been labeled ghost words. the best example I have to mind at the moment is "dord". this initially saw the light of day as a typo (typo was prolly not a word at the time) in Webster's Second New Int'l Dictionary (Unab.) this apparently was a typesetter's mistake for the wanted entry "D or d".

see here for a more complete story and the actual entry as it appeared in W2. (this ghost word was removed from W3 except as an example of the entry "ghost word")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dord

here is the W3 entry for those who dont..
: ghost word - an accidental word form never in established usage; especially : one arising from an editorial or typographical error or a mistaken pronunciation (as phantomnation or dord)
Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.

so, is this ghost-word a word?

NB: W3 classes it as an accidental "word form". this seems to be a useful term for use here.