I liked the movie. The love story may have been what the directors and writers wanted you to see but the most riveting part, for me, was the recreation of the Titanic's ordeal in the most accurate detail possible.

You are right wow, how can you not be touched by the tremendous loss of life and the inequities of a class system that led to more first class passengers being saved. One article I read (I believe it was in National Geographic) reminded me, though, of the fact that you should not judge people without really getting to know them. Rockefeller, one of the richest men in the world, perished on that trip. Not because there was no place on the lifeboats for him, but because his main concern was to “save the kiddies” which he went around gathering and putting into lifeboats.

Oddly, one person that stood out in the movie, for me, was Molly Brown, who tried her best to have the lifeboat she was in go back and save more people. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find out more about her but I came up dry.