Creche is never used in NY for childcare--it might be somewhere in US, but not to my knowledge.. It is often used for a nativity scene..(which is what it was all ways called in my childhood) but I don't think it was ever called a crib.

childcare is always referred to as "daycare" as in a daycare center... now days, there are also senior citizen day care centers, for the elderly who, are a bit too feeble to remain on their own all day, but don't quite need round the clock supervised care. their adult children enroll them in a senior day care center, where they get breakfast and a mid day meal. and supervised activities-- from bridge and cribbage, for the mentally alert, but perhaps physically compromised, to exersize programs..

kids get daycare, pre-school, or a nanny-- or sometimes combinations.. it is possible in NY to have a part time nanny-- usually a college student, available for several hours, combined with a day care program for other hours.

the difference between daycare and pre-school is the program, and often whether or not it meets legal guidelines. NY for safety, requires 1 adult for every 2 children under the age of 2, and 1 egress for for every 10 children. so a 60 child program needs 6 seperate exits, and 30 adults. Even a small program-- 20 children, needs 2 exits, and 10 adults. Most people use "illegal" daycare. 6 to 10 children, in someone house, with one or two rooms filled with toys, and a television. the kids get fed and changed, and otherwise fend for them selves. standard are little better for 2 to 5 year's old, (fewer adults needed) but NY regulations call for the same ratio of means of egress.

Seperate means of egrees means "doors to the outside world" not just to a common corridor. I have a front and back door, so i have two means of egress.. Its really hard to arrange 5 or 6 seperate doors to the street. so legal childcare is very expensive.