This is a "Water of India"* week. Anu will be amazing us with words which don't fit into any particular theme this week.

Today's AWAD [Day 5] is "animus".
Please scroll down.

The AWAD for Day 1 is:

odium (O-dee-uhm) noun

1. Hatred accompanied by contempt.

2. A state of infamy or disgrace.

[From Latin odium (hatred), from odisse (to hate). Ultimately from Indo-European root od- (to hate) that is also the source of the words hate, annoy, noisome, and ennui.]

I could take the podium and talk about "odium". But, I'm going to turn the stage over to the floor to get "odium" going.

While we're waiting for the next post to arrive, I have a "Water of India" ALAD to divert you on our limerick thread in "Wordplay and Fun".

So, join the Fun, or let "odium" run. :)

Or visit SuperWAG's new thread "urban myths". [You could call it
'A Tale of Two Myths'. Betchya don't know the answer.]

And, if you've ever wanted to learn how to read palms [and who hasn't!], you won't find out how to do it on Wordwind's "Handflata" thread. But you'll read a lot about palms there -- and before you know it, you'll know palms like the back of your hand. [And I'm not tryin' to palm anything off on you, either.]

BTW how well do you know the back of your hand? How well do we know anything we just take for granted?

* For those who don't already know, "Water of India" is Anu's linguistic prestidigitation for a diversion inspired by a magician he enjoyed in his youth in India. The magician used to do a trick at the side of the stage at irregular intervals while his assistants set up new props.

Interesting how Anu has finessed Wordwind's "Handflata" thread into his AWAD today.

"Water of India" is a magic trick, and so is "prestidigitation". And the "digit" in "prestidgitation" [which also gives us "Presto"] is a finger -- which you will find on your hand. And the underside of your hand is -- you guessed it, your palm.

Very clever, Anu!

Now even I can take it from here. If you lose a hand, it would take magic to grow it back. But you can grow a palm. And that isn't magic. It's horticulture.

Which means that tomorrow's AWAD will be -- you guessed it: "horticulture".

But I would never want to take Anu for granted. So, maybe he's going to outsmart me -- again!
[I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out. Drat!]

Oh, one more thing. It isn't only our hands which should go out to the palm. It is also our heart. To see what I mean, please visit Wordwind's "Handflata" thread. [You'll never feel the same about "heart of palm salad" again, believe me.]

P.S. I've been thinking. Maybe tomorrow's AWAD will be "suture", not "horticulture". You can't grow a new hand, but you can "suture" on an old one. [I guess we'll just have to wait for tomorrow.]