modelling clay certainly is unctuous. I don't normally associate clay with being unctuous, but immediately understood, (and could associate clay with both the word unctous and plastic!)--most mothers have once in their lifetime made the mistake of buying molding clay for children, --who leave it every where--and it leaves oily, permenent stains!

meaning 3, well, how can one use the word unctuous with out thinking of Uriah Heep, and i don't think of him as being 'assumed' or 'exagerated', but rather, ingratiating, false, and (i will accept)superficial earnestness of language or manner--definately 'plastic'. he attemped to mold himself into what ever he thought his company desired or needed: a fitting companion, a loyal employee, and so on.

plastic, in what i guess is the first sense (i haven't checked out merriman, but guess it is bakelite, etc, ) vies with plastic [?] the quality of being mold-able for me. I USE plastic most often to describe something, (a plastic toy) but in my minds eye is a liquid, being molded; a huge vat that spits out goo that is transformed into any number of things.(and these things ending their life on a conveyor belt heading into the vat!)

(where did i read, just today--about the man (Bakelike is an english 'version' of his german name).. he was attempting to make a durable varish for bowling ball alley's, and ended up with creating bakelite?) Aaaugh! senior moments are becoming the norm!

i think plasic became associated with artificial, because bakelite was used extensively to copy (quite successfully) materials like tortoise shell and ivory. by the 1930's, bakelite was fashioned into costume jewelry, --and no attempt was made to copy any known materials.. it was plastic pure and simple!

but the idea of plastic being artificial, and of unctuous being false, are similar.