One form of tat might be useless, rags, etc., but tat is a back form of tatting-- a form of lace making-- Cap't kiwi might know about it, since tatting is done with a shuttle, and has three basic forms, threads (straight pieces) loops, and mesh-- and tatted mesh is almost identical to "fish net"-- except the thread and mesh is much, much finer. but the mesh is formed the same way one makes a fish net.

The threads are just a bit heaver than sewing thread-- silk buttonhole thread would be too thick-- and the mesh is very fine. but the process is the same.. Meshing is the hardest tatting to do, since you need to work with a shuttle not much thicker than a sewing needle.

Thread and loops shuttles are small, about the size of a small/medium tube of women's lipstick and the size doesn't effect your work, but with mesh, the finer your shuttle the finer your mesh.

So any of you guys who have ever repaired a fishing net--you know the basics of tatting.
Thread and loop tatting is all done with hitches and half hitches, similar to netting.. but close together, in miniture, "picot's "(Pee co's) are created by leaving an excess of thread between stitches to form a single thread loop...

when my son became a boy scout and had to learn knots--he was flabbergasted by how many i knew, and how fast i could tie them! (when i was totally crazy-- i tatted lace for a dolls underwear!--then i looked for something more productive to do with my time.. and took up computers. fine choice i made there!

curiously, bones knit -- but our threads cross, (so we are embroidering our language?)