I'll tell you what, these title changes have had me grinning!
Reading, studying, experimenting take some mental effort that most people are not prepared to commit in their free time. Our Max being a very notable exception to this; I've never known anyone who studies as hard as he does--from pure self-motivation. A shining example that I admire from the slough of my laziness. Yep, I enjoy learning--but I want it to come easily. Though I suppose that, like any initiative, it can depend on our motivation.

One thing no one has mentioned (at least not by the time I started typing) is research on medical treatments; I began hearing years ago of sick people, or their loved ones, "ransacking" the internet, hoping to find a cure that their doctor wasn't aware of.

Another thing I was thinking of re: in-depth research and learning is the comfort factor: you can lounge with a book, and hold it as near or as far from your eyes as you want. Using a computer for hours on end can result in both muscle strain and eye strain. And it's the latter that would pose the less solvable problem, I think.

Also, it seems to me that two major "cultures" with divisions have been discussed: first-world as opposed to second- and third-world; and people who would be doing all this research as part of their jobs as opposed to individuals who are looking on their own. Perhaps some clarification on which aspect we're talking about could help.

I can't see any downside to the endeavor, either. However, I do feel that there are many individuals who will not make use of the free access, thus furthering the cultural divide; one group being the people whose major (only) concern is how soon they can get high again; another being those who believe that they're making a fine living selling drugs and/or being in a gang; and a third--those who are too poor to own a computer/pay for access and who live too far from a library to get there without great difficulty. And of course some people who are convinced they'd never learn how so why bother trying.

As to research--won't there be gaps in many areas? That is, don't many companies/individuals guard their privacy so others don't beat them to the punch, or whatever?

Also, like many other things, internet info. can be used for good or ill.

Now--having pointed out all those negatives, I will say that I am convinced that people in general are inherently good, and that therefore the beneficial outcomes will far outweigh the bad ones. And, as computers become more and more standard in schools--at least in the U.S.-- that in maybe a generation or so, virtually everyone will be aware of them and comfortable with them; and perhaps more familiarity will breed, if not exactly contempt, at least awareness and standards of use. The internet is the most addictive "new toy" I can think of--probably a "drug" for some people, at least for a while. I am hopeful that kids who grow up with it will therefore not see it as "new", and will then have it as just a part of their lives, not AS their lives. It is a godsend for people who cannot leave their home or their room; but we are social creatures who need the company of others.