Well, not to put too fine a point on it, it would be difficult to be only as slick as owl shit or not as slick. Owls eat meat, nuthin' else. And that makes for rockhard excremental pellets. And owls also expel little "packets" containing the bones of their prey. American Scientific and Surplus sells them occasionally for disecting purposes!

In my mind I categorize most of these highly descriptive phrases as US Southern regionalisms, though not sure why. T

One other category of regionalism that comes to mind is the dropping of "to be" from sentences that for most of us require them. I remember very well the first time I heard this; a guy I worked with when I was in college looked out the window of the bank we were working in and said, "The lawn needs mowed." I knew immediately what he meant and made a silent vow to hogtie and beat any of my offspring who used this abomination. Ever after I have associated this regionalism with South Central Pennsylvania, which is where I have heard it the most. And it may not actually be a regionalism, I admit, but almost always the perp has hailed from that part of the country.

TEd