and I do hope I convey in spades my enthusiasm for the written word, and most especially the written words of my students

You certainly do, Wordwind. Your students are obviously very lucky to have you.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to straighten me out.

I am heartened to hear that what little I had to say which passes as valid criticism has been said many times before by many others more qualified than myself to say it, and more likely to do something constructive about it.

Thanks again.

P.S. I won't apologize for my presumptuous criticisms only because my presumption has resulted in such a marvellous insight into what good teachers can and are doing in the classroom, and this passage, in particular, convinces me that you are amongst the very best of them.

You name it; we try to do it in English 9: spell, conjugate, parse, speak, read, rap, write, edit, sing, chant, create, negate, hypothesize, order, dream, celebrate.

WOW! Can't say I ever had a teacher who was as passionately committed, creative and capable* as you are.

You are a credit to your profession, Wordwind. And a credit to AWADtalk ... says Plutarch slinking away abashed. [Not that I am inviting anyone else to abash me. ]

* In addition, you are a very cool cucumber -- which also comes in handy in the classroom, I'll bet.