Jackie asks (and well she might): Forgive my ignorance, but why in the world would we want to make a post that doesn't have anything in it?

If you have only a short comment on something and don't wish to require of the reader the overhead of waiting for the post to come up and the further overhead of waiting for the original thread to come back afterward and it all fits in the Subject line then why not?

On the other hand, JazzO remarks that That makes no difference when you read it in flat mode...

All I can say is that if you are reading in flat mode then this may not be any help to you. For the record the board from which this technique was derived has only flat mode. The moderators of the site have pointedly refused to allow threaded mode on the grounds that the habitués are too unruly in terms of the digressions and that threads would get too out of hand.

I understand on an intellectual level that there are advantages and disadvantages to both flat mode viewing and threaded mode viewing. For me, even irrespective (OK tsuwm?) of the [NM] proposal, threaded mode viewing is so far superior to flat mode viewing that I don't understand why anyone would want to view in flat mode. Perhaps some kind soul can disabuse me if this notion.

Unfortunately it seems as though the only way to change viewing modes is by editing your profile in Display Preferences. I had thought that there was an easier way but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps some savvy individual could disabuse me of this notion, too.