and to that critical area of editing..."

I didn't gloss over your point because I disagreed with it, Wordwind. I did, and do, agree with it.

I glossed over it because the issue here is not the distractions caused by the artist's misspellings [they certainly are distracting], but who is ultimately to blame for those misspellings?

The artist values consultation with the community, as we know from her website.

Is it possible that those who commissioned her work did not ask her to submit a detailed illustration of the work which they commissioned?

If they failed to request such an illustration for review and approval in advance, who is to blame? The professionals responsible for issuing the commission, or the artist whose reputation is founded on her art, not on her mastery of english literature?

Those who commissioned this work of art, Wordwind, failed not once, but twice, to prevent the obvious spelling errors. [This is not what lawyers call a "latent defect" which cannot be detected with ordinary visual inspections while the work is in progress.]

First they failed to approve the final design in advance. Then they failed to inspect the work either before it was completed or immediately after it was completed while the artist was still on the site and the mortar was still moist.

Who of us would undertake an expensive renovation of our own home, perhaps a kitchen, without monitoring the progress of the work and insisting upon a final inspection before we make the final payment to the contractor?

Why should we expect less of people, like library administrators, who are responsible for taxpayer dollars?

Actually, these people failed Maria most egregiously a third time. They failed to own up to their own responsibity for her unsupervised, uninspected, unintended errors.