Perzackly! Canterbury looks more like a hermit who was dressed up in the clobber and had the crozier thrust into his unready and unsuspecting hand. George Carey was perhaps more my idea of the urbane, yet pious, AB of C. Not drawing invidious comparisons here - I don't know how well Carey performed. He just "looked the part". Poor Rowan Williams always looks bewildered, although I'm sure he's not!

Incidentally, you may not know it, but Penny Jamieson, the first female bishop in New Zealand (Otago) recently retired. I met her on a number of occasions, and despite my lack of immediate interest, I quite liked her. She seemed very genuine. She is much missed by the Anglican community of which my aunt is an enduring stalwart and town crier. This is the same Anglican community of which a large proportion was predicting the end of life as we know it when she was appointed, of course. One thing I do know is that she wouldn't have been sitting in the Bishop's House in Clairmont Street drinking herself nearly insensible with the Dean of St Paul's Cathedral between dinner and evensong - like one of her more notorious predecessors.