A week ago I decided to strap a surveillance camera to a tree close to a bird feeder to see if birds feed at night. The camera is equipped with a flash and the motion detector snaps the shot. I activated the camera at the break of dark.

The first night the camera recorded eighteen hits, so, inspired by this thread, the next night I positioned the camera to record the events around the hummingbird feeder to finish out the roll. Success! By dawn all the pictures were taken.

Yesterday the photos were returned from the developer and were a bit of a disappointment but interesting. The bird feeder pictures were of two cardinals (a bright red male and a beautiful white and pink female who contrasted well with the backdrop of black.) and three pictures of the bird feeder but no bird.

The hummingbird feeder night did worse. The camera recorded eight pictures of the hummingbird feeder but no bird.

Hmmm, maybe the hummingbird feeder swings in the breeze. Maybe the hummingbirds are too fast for my camera.

I'll try again this week.