I note the discussion on the various versions of Monopoly. I think it is good that there are now versions for major cities although I'm not convinced by the special edition versions such as "Rugby World Cup 1999 Monopoly" which was sold in Edinburgh last year. I'm sure that London will hate the diversification in the UK (the places on the board became tourist attractions). It was a major ambition of mine and many other British children) to see places like Park Lane and Mayfair. I still go out of my way to go through Marylebone Station if I get a chance!

I am fairly sure that the London version of Monopoly has been made by Waddingtons since 1934/35 but I also spotted this press release from Hasbro (who took over Parker Brothers), claiming that they "swapped" the UK rights for Monopoly for the USA rights to Cluedo sometime after 1949: http://www.hasbro.co.uk/corporatePR/corporatePRcontent.asp?articleType=ARTICLE&PRID=7

The origin of the game of Monopoly was the subject of a long running disagreement with a friend from the USA, before the days when we could surf the internet for (mis)information. We were all convinced that the UK version must be the original until she pointed out that the American game was set in Atlantic City - she claimed that if it had been an adaptation then surely it would have been a major city like New York or San Francisco - she won!