In reply to:

Have you ever taped a meeting? I'd be interested to see/hear what you mean by the above.

belMarduk: I haven’t, they have never suggested that was allowed. It's possible the organization website may have some recordings(http://www.toastmasters.org), but I haven't seen any on the site. My beef with the speaking style is a little hard to describe. Have you ever seen/heard a speech that was too well rehearsed, too polished, so much so that it lacked passion or soul? All of the experienced Toastmasters that visit our club sound like that… even in their extemporaneous speeches. The novice speakers in our club range from stumblingly nervous to confidently exciting, but they all sound better to me than the experienced guest Toastmasters because they have a connection to their speeches.

tsuwm: I frequently have problems with spelling as well, I was just curious if it was intentional (since I only found it in one of my two work dictionaries, I though it might be a variant spelling) or unintentional. I am all too aware of the pitfalls of spell-check.

Bingley: I love the word anthropometrics! It definitely fit with the “Measure of a Man” theme. I almost went with vitruvian, but that’s even more obscure.

The meeting was this morning, and as I was out of time, I opted for the jejune word, “jejune.”
On the bright side, everyone loved the word and it had more in-meeting use than any other “word of the week” in our club chapter’s two-month history. Thanks for the help!

Z-Dub

Z-Dub