Intellect refers to a willingness and ability to think deeply on a subject.

Intelligence refers to "how smart you are." It's used in many different ways. It's often used to mean "how much you know," which usage irks me. I think more commonly it's supposed to mean how well one can think. Intelligence is believed to be measured by the Intelligence Quotience, or IQ. I'm very skeptical of this. I think that IQ is what I would call "trivial intelligence."
If one accepts IQ as a measure of real intelligence, it may be true that intellectuals tend to be very intelligent.

I don't believe in common sense. First I don't believe it exists. Second, if it does exist, I don't think it's desirable. (However, I do hold to what Popper referred to as Commonsense Realism.) Nevertheless, Good Sense *is* a desirable thing. It's probably related to intelligence (real and trivial) in some way. I think Gardner is on the right track with multiple intelligences. Also, I completely disagree with the common view that wisdom is how well one uses one's intelligence. Instead I think it is another category of intelligence for which we don't have adequate description. (I mention this because it seems to me that Good Sense and Wisdom are probably related and might even be equivalent.)

Many intellectuals possess a superabundance of trivial intelligence, but are staggeringly poor thinkers. This realization came early on in my university experience and its onset (more aptly, "it's onslaught") initiated a period of profound depression and indifference. (I worked with a person who had published many dozens of papers on a particular subject on which I knew him to be almost entirely ignorant. He was a nice guy, had a few mildly interesting tales, and had the irritating knack of expressing the most trivial ideas in completely impenetrable language. There wasn't anything so straightforward that he was incapable of expressing it poorly. This was not a unique experience.)

k