grapho,

Look, I understand your being upset. And I even understand your railing about your perceived mistreatment. Whether or not you have been, I'm not prepared to say, nor am I prepared to research it. Whatever may have originally upset you cannot be the relevant issue now.

There is a group of people who have been posting since day one. Among other things they have in common, they have that. They are friends. It is not their site, but the board has grown around them, so to speak: they established 'conversation' and others, including myself, came aboard.

You might view this as a clique. But you might also view the evolving discussion as an open and evolving constitution. It is good practice to lurk for a while before joining in the discussion on an established board, to get a sense of the parameters of the discussion, of the constitution. This, as in face to face discussions, at a party, for example, is nothing more than good manners. As it is good manners, at a party, for pairs and trios engaged in a discussion to let new voices in. The process requires a reciprocity of tact. It can also require over-looking perceived minor slights.

One would not expect to be cordially admitted into a cordial conversation through the use of rams- vituperative or battering. One might, however, expect either to be isolated or to transform a congenial discussion into a brawl. Neither, it seems to me, is a desirable outcome, although the latter may have the rather strained benefit or garnering attention for the instigator.

It is clear to most of us that you are quite capable of engaging posts, ones that are simple and to the point. If other kinds of posts have not been well received, it may only mean that this is not the forum for them. Such are the limits of the place. And limits are not necessarily negative (loosely, in the sense of 'judgment'). They are, quite simply, what makes a thing what it is. They are part of its constitution.

Is a constitution subject to change? Of course. They evolve. There is really no point testing it. A happier alternative here, is simply to live within it -- let one's contributions be a part of it.

It is up to every contributor to decide how they will do this and that can be quite nuanced.

It seems to me that the main requirement is a respect for discourse. This necessarily entails a respect for those engaged in it. The way in is quite simple, really. Keep the posts about words or brief topics of objective interest. Keep them away from the subjective. There is little room for plaints. Ultimately, they are simply not matters of general interest. I don't mean this as a slight, but as an observation that might as well be directed to me, for example, as to you.

The driving 'force' behind this board is interest. And postings should be limited to that which engages it.