I can’t picture a ‘jug of jug milk’. Isn’t it hard to carry without spilling, or is this not really a jug? Traditionally we give a ‘Christmas box’ (ie: money) to regular deliverymen, but these days they seem to change once a month, so we reserve our generosity for the dustmen, who are more consistent and also excellent but can do you a real disservice if you upset them!

In the UK we do still have doorstep delivery of milk, normally in cartons or screw top plastic containers but I suspect still in bottles in some areas. It is a very useful service for the elderly and housebound as the milkman often delivers other groceries, particularly in rural areas, and is a good regular contact. I don’t think we have ‘milk stores’ as such, but most people buy milk from the supermarkets where it is cheaper (often sold as a loss-leader) than from the milkman.

We would prefer to use the milkman as it would be a shame to see them finally disappear, they have been part of the scene for so long a time, but the service is only ideal for a household that needs the same amount of milk each day and where there is always someone home to take it in.