re:The phenomenon isn't limited to words; if I were driving a white car for five years and then bought a red car suddenly I see more than my share of red cars,

this is almost a paradigm.
there was an article about the 'discovery' of the ozone hole over south pole.. for years scientist had been taking reading of ozone/atmosphere, and often, the data over the south pole 'fell of the scale' they just ignored it, and presumed it was some sort of problem about the angle the information had been measured at, or relections from polar ice causing problems, etc.. but finally one day, on young scientist deside to find out why the data from the area of the south pole was some times 'irregular' what he discovered was the data was correct! there was an ozone 'hole' over the south pole. it wasn't new data, just a new look at old stuff, and seeing something new. a paradigm shift. (is shift reduntent there? no matter, i am leaving it)

(until we had a thread on the term 'sea change', i never saw it.. since then, i have re-read some books, and found the expression in use. obviously, i had missed it first time round!)
paradigm might not be the word you are looking for.. but am i getting closer to the general idea?