Re: "I get kind of ingratiated into that firm ... Other people around me would be better at referencing that."

Considering Frodo's response to some other questions in that interview, notably the one below, I would argue that he displayed uncommon eloquence in coming up with that answer.

Wood: I actually did "Spy Kids" right after I finished "Eternal Sunshine." I went (to Texas) for a couple of days. It was like two days in Austin, and we filmed it. It was a blast.

Personally, I think Frodo was trying to ingratiate himself into the interviewer as an intellectual, and he thought it best to reference those around him for validation in this regard sooner than invite the interviewer to actually consult anyone. [A deft 'out' deserving of our regard, not our reproof, I would argue. But, then, a gnat is always rooting for the little guy.]

My guess is Frodo has had more experience ingratiating himself into star-struck groupies than he has had ingratiating himself into star-struck interviewers.

Conversational correctitude is not very important to a groupie.

It's not very important to a star-struck interviewer either. If his audience doesn't care, why should he?