For it is the tinkers who keep the knitters in stitches.

I agree tinkers and thinkers have more in common than 25 letters of the alphabet, and we should try to stitch over our differences.

Come to think of it, that's a good job for the tinkers.

You may be interested in this review of "Apes, Language and the Human Mind" which may give thinkers reason to question whether "Cartesian thinkers" are all they are cut out to be.

Review:

"The authors then proceed to show that arguments which have been used to bolster the existential gap view in fact are incapable of supporting the notion that humans themselves have the exclusive and proprietary capacities which Cartesian thinkers have attributed to them. That is, (a) the evidence which such thinkers use purportedly to prove the existence of various capacities in humans is shown to be equally in evidence in at least one kind of animal, but (b) the evidence which is used purportedly to disprove these capacities in animals is shown in fact to be inadequate to prove the existence of those capacities in humans. In other words, as is further suggested in the final chapter, we have no logical or evidential basis for maintaining the Cartesian view, and the implications for our own human behavior are accordingly far-reaching."

Full Review at:

http://www.outdoorshub.com/Apes_Language_and_the_Human_Mind_0195109864.html

Though it defies conventional tinking, it may be that the distance between human and ape intelligence is no greater than the distance between thinker and tinker intelligence.

Personally, I think the jury is still out on this.

Apes may be able to close the gap faster than tinkers, but I don't thinks apes will ever be able to close a void.

They don't have the fingers for it.