I used to just call it shallow but that's derogatory. I think it is more a cerebral ability to pick apart the "fake" the "phony" and question why?

And these are not hallmarks of shallowness? 'Derogatory' and 'factual' are not mutually exclusive.

My daughter is half asian on her mother's side (chinese) and half european miscegenation on my side (french, german, irish). She's experiencing this turmoil in high school as I type. I don't know that she's particularly intellectual at this point, but she loves math, works hard in every subject, and has achieved a measure of success in each of them (straight As first quarter).

In her only class with upperclassmen, the other students in her group weren't doing any work. Example, they're sent to the computer lab to do 'research' and all the other kids surf the net for music while she does all the research. Then they have the gall to shower her with phrases like "fucking bitch," "you're just a nerd" and "you'll never have any friends" and many other helpful comments because she won't write the opening speech for the group's cheerleader. My daughter's response: "If I write it, I deliver it."

(One of the biggest crocks of nonsense in high school and college is the need for group projects - and particularly the utterly stupid way it's implemented in most cases.)

k