It was brought to my attention recently, that the connotation surrounding the term "Linguistic Word" was not readily understood. Thus, I decided to catenate this post for your learning pleasure.

First I will break it down so that there is better knowledge of each word, then I will put them together for the full understanding.

“Linguistic”

Main Entry: linguistic
Pronunciation: li[ng]-'gwis-tik
Variant(s): also linguistical /-ti-k&l/
Function: adjective
: of or relating to language or linguistics
1. of language: relating to language or languages
2. of linguistics: relating to linguistics

Consulting a thesaurus you would receive these words: language, verbal, philological, dialectal, etymological, phonological, morphological, semantic, grammatical, syntactical.

“Word”

Main Entry: 1word
Pronunciation: 'w&rd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German wort word, Latin verbum, Greek eirein to say, speak, Hittite weriya- to call, name
1 a : something that is said b plural (1) : TALK, DISCOURSE <putting one's feelings into words> (2) : the text of a vocal musical composition c : a brief remark or conversation <would like to have a word with you>
2 a (1) : a speech sound or series of speech sounds that symbolizes and communicates a meaning without being divisible into smaller units capable of independent use (2) : the entire set of linguistic forms produced by combining a single base with various inflectional elements without change in the part of speech elements b (1) : a written or printed character or combination of characters representing a spoken word <the number of words to a line> -- sometimes used with the first letter of a real or pretended taboo word prefixed as an often humorous euphemism <the first man to utter the f word on British TV -- Time> <we were not afraid to use the d word and talk about death -- Erma Bombeck> (2) : any segment of written or printed discourse ordinarily appearing between spaces or between a space and a punctuation mark c : a number of bytes processed as a unit and conveying a quantum of information in communication and computer work
3 : ORDER, COMMAND <don't move till I give the word>
4 :often capitalized a : LOGOS b : GOSPEL 1a c : the expressed or manifested mind and will of God
5 :divine reason: in Christian theology, the divine rational principle as epitomized by Jesus Christ
6. Word or Word of God Christian holy scriptures: in Christianity, the Bible or Scriptures, considered as revealing divine truth
7 a : NEWS, INFORMATION <sent word that he would be late> b : RUMOR
8 : the act of speaking or of making verbal communication
9 : SAYING, PROVERB
10 : PROMISE, DECLARATION <kept her word>
11 : a quarrelsome utterance or conversation -- usually used in plural <they had words and parted>
12 : a verbal signal : PASSWORD
Consulting a thesaurus you would receive these words plus a myriad of other ones associated with it: account, adage, advice, announcement, behest, bidding, countersign, chat, chitchat, colloquy, confab, identification.

From the definitions given, it is readily apparent that there are a few meanings which could be construed from a person’s first glance. It is in my experience though that this is the case with many of the forms for which we place words. The placement within a sentence structure can change the meaning of a word just as the topographical location can change how a word is received by its people.

Normally when I choose to employ the term, I use the definition of “Linguistic” 1. of language: relating to language or languages in conjunction with “Word” 2 b (1): a written or printed character or combination of characters representing a spoken word.

It is my hope that this catechization offers a better understanding of what I mean when I employ the use of the term “Linguistic Word.”

Rev. Alimae

Rev. Alimae