Jheem's mention of Scillies, reminded me of naval disaster there when Sir Cloudsley Shovel lost 4 ships and all hands
for lack of an accurate chronometer to know his longitude.

I have always wondered how he got his name, and etymology
thereof.

shovel
SYLLABICATION: shov·el
PRONUNCIATION: shvl
NOUN: 1. A tool with a handle and a broad scoop or blade for digging and moving material, such as dirt or snow. 2. A large mechanical device or vehicle for heavy digging or excavation. 3. The amount that a shovel can hold; a shovelful: One shovel of dirt.
VERB: Inflected forms: shov·eled also shov·elled, shov·el·ing, shov·el·ling, shov·els, shov·els

TRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To move or remove with a shovel. 2. To make with a shovel: shoveled a path through the snow. 3. To convey or throw in a rough or hasty way, as if with a shovel: He shoveled the food into his mouth. 4. To clear or excavate with or as if with a shovel: shoveling off the driveway after the snowstorm; shovels out the hall closet once a year.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To dig or work with a shovel.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old English scofl.

and "scofl" reminded me of "scuffle = a type of hoe"
SYLLABICATION: scuf·fle
PRONUNCIATION: skfl
NOUN: A hoe that is manipulated by pushing or pulling. Also called Dutch hoe, scuffle hoe.
ETYMOLOGY: Dutch schoffel, hoe for weeding, from Middle Dutch, hoe, shovel.

And "scuffle" to move feet noisily, and a brief episode of fisticuffs are obvious developments.

Can anyone take it further?

A URL with more information about the Scillies and
Sir Cloudsley Shovel: Scroll down 1/2 way:
http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/bshm/zingaz/S.html#salt