let's not lump "Yummy Yummy" and other fluff bubblegum pop crap with serious songwriting

*I* was not doing this. Yummy Yummy IS a song, is it not?
Just for the record, it was that specific song I had in mind when I said: For many other songwriters, and I have to say for artists (painters) too, my personal opinion is that quite often there isn't any "deep" [significant look e] meaning. They just put a bunch of words down that sound good together, because they sound good together.

Jackie, folks who churn out stuff like "Yummy Yummy" aren't really songwriters, and certainly not *artists....they're merely production machines meeting the market demand. In fact the so-called Archies weren't even really a group, Sugar Sugar was all a studio con job, the group "The Archies" didn't exist at all. When you say "songwriter" my mind leaps immediately to folks like Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Harry Chapin, Joni Mitchell, John Prine, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, etc...not pop-pabulum.
And don't forget, it was Bill Monroe's (the "Father of American Bluegrass" for those who might not know) Blue Moon of Kentucky that was the catalyst for launching Elvis Presley's career because it was a good song.