Meanwhile, lets get back to the rights of salvage
'Very well. But I'll find you, anyhow. I'm going to claim my rights of salvage.'

maybe Faldage (or some other sea going man--Bobyoung--i suspect) would know the detail.

when a ship is in distress, and other ship come to their aid, (or if a ship has sunk outside of territorial waters) those that come to assistance have rights of salvage.

after they help the sailors/passengers out of the sea, any of the goods they collect can be kept (in lieu of payment)--even if they collect an excessive amount (what is the value of a human life? how can any one say, "you have gotten too rich rescuing the sailors")

if a ship hasn't quite sunk, (and does't seem like it will sink quickly), the captain will refuse assistance, and wait for a ship from his own company (so that the 'salvage rights ' won't be 'lost to competitors'.._

there are many detail (in naval law)of who get what, if several ships come to aid, the first ship --i think, always gets 'first dibs' (a larger share)

the gentleman, having fished the young woman out of the water, is claiming 'rights of salvage'--that might mean he is asking for a kiss, or the right to keep her company, or ...what ever the he could get!