There's too much Jefferson trivia, but seeing his wall mentioned here reminds me of three of my favorite bits of triva about Mr. Jefferson:

1. One of his favorite dishes to serve to foreign visitors was macaroni and cheese; this bit of trivia was reported by the chef of Blair House on NPR

2. Mr. Jefferson would not read novels; thought they were frivolous.

3. And Mr. Jefferson refused to play cards, which he considered to be another frivolous waste of time.

I disagree with his view on novels, but his view on cards has made me feel to be in good company, at least, for never having learned to play bridge.

Mav'--I hope you don't mind this bit of a tangent I took. I don't think the 1745 Virginia fence would have been Mr. Jefferson's, however. Jefferson would have been too young in 1745 (about two years old).

As wwh pointed out, I don't think the bricks were curved; they were doubled and the curve itself was formed by the placement of the side-by-side bricks from what I remember of those C'ville visits. I suppose the bricklayer had to be very well skilled in working the mortar. It's hard enough building a straight up and down brick wall--I know because I tried once and failed horribly at it. Anyway, I do believe Jefferson is credited with the serpentine wall, particularly up at UVA, and that date would have been much later than the 1745 in your citation.