From my experience in India, the most usual greeting is people holding out their hands for rupees ... sorry, cynicism will out. I'm a paid-up member, remember?

However, the formal greeting (namaste) is really quite special. Our flatmate (a friend who lives in our house from time to time) is currently in Nepal trekking. She should be back any day, and she's right into the subcontinental culture. I'll get her to demo then try to describe it for you all ...

Thinking of India and words, I went to Delhi for a SEARCC conference a couple of years ago. When I arrived, I saw that Comdex Asia, an INTERNATIOinformation technology showcase, was on at the Indian National Convention Centre. Since I had a free day the next day, I hopped a trishaw (or tuk-tuk? never can remember what they're called from country to country) and went early the next morning. There was a line for entry which I joined. Nobody asked for any money. I thought this was dead creepy! I filled out a form, had my photo taken and was handed an ID card on a cord to hang around my neck. Didn't really think anything of it - customs differ from country to country, after all - until I saw a sign saying that December 5 was a closed day for invited guests and the press only ... Looked at my watch, and sho 'nuff, it was December 5. Of course, I was dressed in pretty much standard reporter gear, jeans and chukka boots, with a camera and a camera case slung around my neck. Easy mistake on their part, hmmm? Anyway, a lot of photos, a marriage proposal, a few choice stories (only one of which was ever published) and a lot of free food later, I left, tired and happy. I still have the ID card which, when I looked carefully, had "PRESS" prominently printed on it.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...