.. think the point being made was that an editor should have known better. I certainly don't think anyone was criticising you. Your contributions to this board have always been valuable, adding yet another perspective to the discussions you have enriched.

but every day i learn new words--here and even in the NYTimes-- which is supposedly written to a US 6th grade vocabulary- when i first heard segue-- (i could, with a bit of effort pin down the day) and said-- wait, what was that word? the user, was so incredible rude! I don't think they intended to be as rude as they were, since they were are not normally rude-- but it made not just me, but a whole group shut up for a while! (they intentionally being used so as to hid the offender gender!)

but when i mentioned the word to my then teen age daughter, she looked at me as if i had two heads! what, you don't know segue? she was startled! but you know every word! was her responce-- how could you not know segue! (oh to be as omni potent as that again!)
so somehow, this word eluded me when the rest of the world was segueing it self from topic to topic! .

Okay, so maybe the editor should have looked it up before commenting-- or asked WOW-- is this a word? its new to me! but even editors are entitled not to know every word!

and WOW is right to hold up standards-- and i didn't feel criticised.. but even those of us, who have worked on our vocabulary all our lives are still learning...