The core team (math, science, civics, English) showed up. This worried me at first, but it turns out it was a good thing. I made my points, I think. They agreed with what I was saying and, as it turned out, were already working on ways to improve the assignment by, for example, having the science teacher grade the science related portion and the English teacher grade those portions - and give credit in the appropriate classes.

I made clear that I consider schooling and education to be very different things, education being an attempt to broaden the horizons and also to connect the subject matter from various courses - that is, in general it's an attempt to put the schooling in context. I also made clear that I applaud the fact that they're attempting the more difficult goal, but that the implementation is flawed (severely in my opinion) AND that this is PERFECTLY OKAY so long as at the end of the year the kids (my kid in particular, but all the kids, really) actually understand the algebraic material.

I was half-way expecting it to be a big bash when the whole crew showed up for what I thought was going to be a 2-way, but it turned out they were very receptive to my suggestions. (I spoke for well over half the time, and they never interrupted.) In fact, it seemed like they were grateful to get some feedback. I'm glad I cooled off before I went in and also glad I took it directly to the teacher instead of the principal.

I was tempted to go back and delete my first post or edit it - it was way too harsh. But nope, I'm leaving it.

k