I don't see any connection of the chicken bone diary to math.

will be sure to mention this to the algebra teacher on my team tomorrow.

I've spoken with a colleague who used to teach 8th and 9th grade algebra.

He said that he has team-taught before and organized (with the appropriate teachers!) around various themes (match-box derby i think was one). My main issue here is 3/4 of the effort of a large project being expended on something related to math.

My daughter's biggest issue is that in the sample schedule the teacher layed out, she only allocated one day for research. The kid spent till 10:30 last night just doing the research on Egyptian gods for part IV. The research on Egyptian math could take weeks - several days at least, if she skimps.

The more I think this through, the more I think it could be a great project if it were actually taught by a team. This is a new teacher. Maybe she doesn't know what's expected of her yet. She's also very new to the school. Maybe she doesn't realize that these projects are meant to be done in conjunction with other classes. They could replace the actual major English research project with the two creative writing sections from this exercise.

I'm still getting a lot of different opinions on the correct course of action.

"Daddy, please don't say anything to her! It could affect my chances! You should consider that Anna has to go to school here in a few years!"

"Keith, man, you should go straight to the principal."

"Get the VSOL section on math and ask the teacher what areas are being addressed by the chicken bone exercise."

One fellow said I should go to the school "right this minute," but if I go, I'm inclined to wait at least till Monday to give the sarcasm a chance to subside.

k