In reply to:

unless you've run across perquisite, which is so rarely written or even said, and so often just "perks" you might not know the word– it does look like 'prerequisites' so it is a mistake an ignorant person can make. But we are all ignorant of some things!

Well said, helen, but I think the point being made was that an editor should have known better. I certainly don't think anyone was criticising you. Your contributions to this board have always been valuable, adding yet another perspective to the discussions you have enriched.

Perhaps an analogy might take some of the perceived sting out of the situation decribed. As a Catholic you were taught how to make the sign of the Cross - how would react if you saw a Catholic priest cross himself in the Orthodox fashion? Just a slight change, but immediately noticeable, and not the sort of error you would expect from one in his position. Similarly, "prerequisite" and "perquisite" are very similar, yet different, and an editor really ought to be aware of that difference. At least, that's how I read the post in question. Salaam