of_troy,

I think I understand the gist of your point. I agree that mathematics can be used to solve useful problems. This is why they give word problems in algebra. The Egyptians serve as a good contrast they were less abstract than the later Greeks (but I think there's some disagreement about this). One of the good things about algebra is that beyond the actual math, it's the first training that people get in logical thinking, in the principles of problem solving, and in the use of abstract reasoning. We don't have to think about 12 carrots or 12 dogs, but just 12.

The actual mathematical part of the subject is several components which includes (probably among other things):
mathematical vocabulary and notation
inculcation of mathematical principles (postulates, axioms, theorems)
understanding how those principles are applied
translating word problems into mathematical notation
logical connection and inference

Essentially, one is given a set of tools and a bit of training on how to use those tools.

Of course logic is really pounded home in geometry.

English courses are gradually cumulative. Every course is important. Every year students gain vocabulary and insight. This accumulation or accretion of knowledge happens in mathematics as well, of course, but it's much less gradual. There are a number of quantum leaps. Algebra I is such a leap. In my view it's the most important math class any student will ever have. It's a sine qua non for any serious study of mathematics.

It's particularly important for my daughter as she's applying for a magnet school of science and technology. If she gets in, they're going to presume she's adept in it - it's a prerequisite for entry. If she doesn't get in, maybe it's even more important. Will she have other opportunities to compensate for her lack of training her.

When I was younger, I thought the English classes were a waste. "I'll never need this crap!" I was wrong. I wish I knew then what I know now: Nobody knows what they'll need in later years. One of the advantages of a broad, liberal education is that one is prepared for whatever comes one's way.

I wouldn't have a problem if this assignment were divided into 4 courses, but it's utterly unreasonably to have a substantial grade in math be affected by one's artistics ability or their ability to write stories.

k