Max et al.

Don't feel to bad about the diety thing. I recently read a sci fi book by a well-known author (who is so well-known his name escapes me at the moment. Throughout the entire novel, the word deity was misspelled diety. And in this particular novel that was a LOT of times. Several hundred anyway.

I found the author's e-mail address and asked, "Was this an editor's goof or were you making a pun?"

His response, "Oh my God. I did THAT? How would you like to be my editor?" or words to that effect. Several things come to mind:

Where was his spell checker?
Where were his editors, his proofreaders, his agent?
Lastly, if the tone of the author's response is to be believed, I was the first person to bring this to his attention; where were his fans?

This brings me to my point:

I assume everyone who posts here reads voraciously and with catholic tastes. When you read, do you notice errors such as this and how much does it bother you?

To answer my own question, I notice errors like this more and more every year. I think there must be more of them. And it bothers me a lot. I find my eye being drawn back to the offensive line until I have turned the page. My blue pencil yearns to put the proper proofreading mark in the margin, while my mind shouts, "This is a library book, dammit! Get over it!"

TEd