As the primates (the principal archbishops) of the 38 provinces of the worldwide Anglican Communion meet at Lambeth Palace to address the possibility of schism over the planned consecration of an openly gay man as Bishop of New Hampshire, partisans on both sides of the issue are making all manner of pronouncements. Among them was one issued by David Anderson, the president of the American Anglican Council -- a conservative group in the USA opposed to the ordination of gay people. Anderson said that any bishop who lays hands upon the head of Gene Robinson, the gay bishop elect, will be "derecognized" by his group. This is a reference to the manner in which a person is made a bishop: others bishops in the apostolic succession lay hands upon the person's head to confer the gifts of the Holy Spirit for this particular ministry.

Derecognize? I'd never before heard the word. How exactly would one accomplish it? "Your face is familiar and I've heard the name before, your Grace, but I can no longer tell who you are."