assume you also have to find something to protect the countertop from the heat? Or do these electric ones come with that built in?
The range of kettles available is most varied. Most of the cheaper ones are plastic and jug shaped, they have a power lead out the back that is exactly like the power lead that comes out of your computer. In fact techies here call them kettle leads. In a tea emergency you can use them but the ampage ( what is the right word for that?) is different so it's a dangerously bad idea unless desperate. I just got a new kettle that is cordless ( a more expensive kind, it cost a whole twelve pounds) and that sits on a round base that is plastic. The kettle looks like a stovetop one though. I also have a travel jug kettle that plugs into a ciggie lighter in a car ( though I have no car, spose that is a bit crazy). I am instinctively opposed to the idea of microwaving hot water, but I can't think why. And that, you will be pleased to know, is all I have to say about kettles.

**except this on different cultures and essentials: 90% of French people drink fresh coffee every day but only 10% own coffee machines, they all go out for coffee.