> Far as I know, ain' no USns pronounce it haitch. Some of us think haitch is British and some think it's only the Cockneys who pronounce it like that. Probably it's something in between, them UKns having so many dialects and all.

For some reason the laptop that I have been using recently won't let me post, something to do with cookies, I expect but it won't give me permission to change it.

Anyway wot Faldage says seems about right.

Where I come from in the North West of England it changed within a few miles. I remember those of us at school, in hysterics, in the way that only schoolgirls can, at a friend from probably a mile or two away from me who insisted on adding a "huh" to the "aitch" in the letter "h". I guess about 70% of us in the school wouldn't and around 30% of us would, so it is pretty regional and local within regions. It's a dialect thing.

On the subject of "H"erbal Essence - definitley with a "huh" for me. I can't remember the tv ad, liked the bottle design though. It's a shame it is such lousy shampoo, more like essence of whatever was in the chemical lab that day, makes my hair go limp and frizzy - no erotic moans from me.