I played a game thirty years ago inspired by a mystery novel titled "The Floating Admiral" (c. 1931). Members of something called The Detection Club, all authors of mystery fiction -- Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, G.K. Chesterton, Canon Victor L. Whitechurch, and others -- each contributed a chapter, seriatim, having to work with the characters and premises established by those who wrote before them. It was an entertaining experiment, 'tho not the world's greatest murder mystery by a long measure.

While serving in the United States Navy, I had long watches filled with total boredom during which nothing happened, but for which we were required to be present and alert. I was linked to similarly-situated others by radio-teletype. From the format of "The Floating Admiral" we invented a writing game which might work for bonzaialsatian's writers' club.

The sailor initiating the game would write a paragraph which began a story, perhaps introducing a character or setting the scene. The second sailor in line would then build upon that beginning by adding a second paragraph and send it along to everyone on the net. And the third. And the fourth. And so on.

It occurs to me that this could be done on computers linked by e-mail over the Net ... which did not exist when I was in the Navy. For us, it worked fine with the clunking of radio-teletypes through the long night hours of a midwatch.