Thanks, Jackie and of troy, for the additions.

This morning in one of my AHDs I checked out what is now becoming the master list. None of Father Steve's made it into that edition, but I'll check those out on onelook.com tonight.

However, in searching for Father Steve's, I found some others, so that search went well overall.

Jackie, I can use Arabian horse as a noun, but I can't use Morgan horse. The Morgan is generally referred to as Morgan and is listed in the AHD as such. It's a different case for the Arabian, which is listed as 'Arabian horse' (n.). English is fascinating. There are many breeds of horses that would work, however, such as American saddle horse. I have no idea why 'Morgan horse' is not shown, but only Morgan is.

of troy, your 'Przewalsky's horse' didn't make it into my AHD, but that, too, I'll check tonight on onelook.com--especially to retrieve the pronunciation. The 'Prz--' combination entices me.

None of the specific tiger species were included, but I do want those on the list. AHD surprises me here. The Kodiak bear was included, but the Bengal tiger wasn't? Go figure. The Siberian husky was included, but the Siberian tiger wasn't. Grant's zebra wasn't included--I thought that was surprising--but Grant's gazelle was. I've never heard of Grant's gazelle. Oh, well.

The word 'northern' is problemmatical and I'm not sure how I'll develop an explanation for understanding when to capitalize it and when not to. For instance, the 'Northern prickly ash' has 'Northern' capitalized; however, the northern oriole and northern pike have no capital letters. I think I could explain easily why northern lights aren't capitalized, but the Northern Cross is and, related, aurora borealis isn't, but Corona Borealis is. But why the Northern prickly ash is and the northern pike isn't? That's a bit trickier--one being region (capitalized) and the other simply being directional. I think that would be harder to both teach and for my kids to understand.

Here's a good example of strictly direction (not capitalized) lower case usage from things you all have sent me. Someone above submitted 'Arctic fox.' I checked it, as I did all entries, including my own, in the AHD. Well, lo and behold, the entry should have been spelled 'arctic fox'--strictly directional reference and not regional or specific reference to the Arctic Ocean itself. This was true, also, for arctic tern and arctic char--stictly direction references. What's cool, I think, is how these words function as nouns and not as 'adj. + n.'

Thanks to all. There's still some research to do in order to make some working lists that will be interesting (I hope). Onelook.com should fill in the gaps.