Are any of these schools really "bookless"?
Yes, if I understood correctly; and that's my whole point. Though I can certainly see that computers are an aid to learning--even a very powerful aid. I have also seen for myself that kids write more on computers than they had been willing to before; but I confess I'm wondering whether that tendency will continue, once computer use is as common as pen and pencil have been.
Anyway--I'm sticking with my instinct/training that tells me that a lot of people learn best with visual reinforcement. I can envision kids sitting at their desks, thinking, "Now, how is that word spelled, again?", or, "What do I need to do to divide fractions?", etc. And I can't help but think that it's easier/quicker just to have the book open, so that the students can see the help and their work at the same time, instead of having to switch windows all the time. Though I suppose they could have small windows side by side. Which makes me think of a couple of other things: 1.) I wonder if any research has been done on the effects of long-time computer use on kids' vision, and 2.) could a student who is prone to seizures be in one of these classrooms?
I am not against the use of computers/laptops in the classroom, not by any means. But I do have concerns about using no books at all.