Re;secondly, is shortening still a gerund even though it's a tangible thing (aren't most gerunds simply descriptions of verbs, eg swimming, running, eating, etc?)?

isn't a gerund a verb that describes a continueal state of being?--in the sample fishing-- No fishing --is a gerund-- no fishing today, or tomorrow, or yesterday..no fishing ever (a continual state) but I went fishing today, fishing in that sentence is not a gerund. (not sure what form of a verb it is!)
it seems there are several cooking-related terms that follow this unusual gerund format, such as seasoning, leavening, and... um, i'm sure there are more, but i can't think of any. i mean, i do understand that (for example) seasoning is a gerund of the infinitive 'to season', but it's more than simply the description of the process; it's an actual substance. would that be like a concrete gerund or something?

seasoning-- as in She has a very deft hand at seasoning, her soup is always flavorful, and never to salty. is a gerund,(cause there seasoning always means 'adding a flavor to a food') but in [I love McCormacks poultry seasoning, i think its great! its a noun..

and yes food terms seem to be filled with them.. whipping, (whipping the whipping cream) pickling (Pickling with pickling salt)Icing or frosting (icing/frosting the cake with vanilla icing/frosting) and many more i am sure...
(glacing might be one, and sugaring, too,) grating (cheese)... enough!