Great suggestions, wow! To me, AC has become something I definitely don't want to do without. I often wonder how people made it through blazingly hot summers without it, particularly people in hot office buildings where breezes don't reach. Men in suits, trekking blocks to work; and un-air-conditioned subways (or even trains)? I don't want to think about it! Buckling railroad tracks?? Geez... sympathies.
And aren't we glad we don't have to dress like they did 150 years ago?! Long sleeves, and tight-fitting garments buttoned up to the neck...shudder.
Hmm--wow, your post reminded me of something my father always said, when I'd be down on the farm in shorts and sleeveless tops: that wearing long sleeves and long pants is better, because once they get wet with sweat, the breeze actually cooled you down more. Your comment about hot drinks reminded me of something, too, that I heard a long time ago: that in North America, food in the north tends to be kind of bland; but the further south (hotter in temperature) you go, the hotter (spicier) the food gets--and it's true!

WO'N, thanks for starting this thread. I'd intended to put this first, then got to running my mouth...sigh: I've been hearing about the awful heat in Italy; and now they're having a bad time with wildfires. Emanuela, tell us how you are, when you can. b-youth, good to hear from you--hope you enjoyed your swim! wsieber, how are things where you are? ammelah, if you're still around, how is Austria? crealude--France? I don't think Juan Maria has been here for a while, but I heard on the news that the heat in Spain is truly awful--people have died from it.