By the way, dictionary says "parlay" comes from different root than french "parlez".

This sent me back to MY dictionary for a second look, where I found another word, "parley," which it says is "an informal conference, under truce, with an enemy, for discussing the mutual arrangement of matters such as terms for armistace, exchange of prisoners, etc." For derivation, it says, "perhaps from Old French parlee, fem. past part. of parler."

vbq, you didn't happen to notice the pronunciation of French/Flinch at that moment, did you?

Any performance in particular which brought you back a 2nd time, mg?

Johnny Depp, of course! A fabulous fey pirate. But I enjoyed the whole thing so much, from start to finish....I'd give it a 9/10, and it only loses a point for some glaring anachronisms (young Elizabeth Swann telling young Will Turner, "It's okay," and later, adult Elizabeth being asked by her father, through a closed door, "Are you decent?" are just two that spring immediately to mind.)

I enjoyed all the swordplay immensely, being a former fencer; and I love the stirring, majestic soundtrack (I'm listening to it now, aksherly); and every escape made me hug myself with glee. I loved that there were no blacks and whites - you could feel some compassion for everyone in the film. (Especially that poor baddie who longed to be able to afford a real glass eye, instead of the wooden one that kept giving him splinters....)

And it contains one of my fave dialogue exchanges in my movie-going history, which I will put in white so anyone who doesn't even want to know this much about the movie can avoid it:

- Which side is Jack on?
- [beat] At the moment?

Priceless!

And the beautiful ships...and the wonderful costumes (especially Jack's)...and the plucky female character...and the treasure...and...and...and...It's just great escapist cinema.