I've been to see Pirates of the Caribbean twice now (such a swashbucklin' good time!). One line of dialogue escaped me the first time because I thought I'd heard one thing - but the person I went with, told me another. The second time, I was quite sure I'd heard what I'd heard, but again, the person I went with heard it differently.

It makes perfect sense the way my companions heard it - but the way I heard it, there's an added twist.

Anyone Out There who's seen it, please tell me what YOU heard when one of the undead pirates says, in the last third of the movie (in the treasure cave on Isla de Muerte, if I'm spelling that right - consuela?!) "Parlez, parlez, who came up with [or thought of] parlez?!" and Captain Jack responds:

1. That would be the French.
2. That would be the Flinch.

Of course it was the French who came up with "parlez." But since it's a word pirates use to try to get out of a scrape, by negotiating a little more time in which to negotiate/think/plan a way out of the mess they're in, "flinch" makes it somewhat funnier, to my way of thinking - close enough to French to get that that's the origin of the word, but with that delightful added touch of irony.

And honest, it SOUNDS as though he says, "That would be the flinch."

Anyone else who's seen it, hear what I heard?

Edit: Hah! Whoops. I'd spelled it "parlay" when I first composed it, thought, "Nah, that's wrong, it's French, it must be parlez." Shoulda gone with my gut - just looked it up and it's parlay.